Our previous release included features for coaches and fans. Version 6.3 of the GameChanger Android app is all about the scorekeepers. Here are the 3 key updates for scorekeepers:
- Short Fielders, Rovers, and 10th Outfielder: Softball scorekeepers, rejoice! Choose either Rover or Short-Fielder from the game “Settings” view.
- Pitching Decisions: Coaches and scorekeepers can now set pitching decisions directly from the app
- Pre-Set Lineups: Create pre-set lineups based on your opponent.
Short Fielders, Rovers, and 10th Outfielder
In slow pitch softball there are often 10 players on the field instead of the traditional 9. The 10th player is that short fielder, sometimes called a “rover”, who plays in the outfield, usually at a shallow depth between the outfielders and infield.
Most teams will shift the short fielder from right to left, depending on the batter. Generally speaking, right handed batters hit more balls to the left side of the field, so the short fielder moves more to that side, and vice versa for left handed batters.
Whatever your strategy, you can now properly score a game with 10 outfielders from the GameChanger Android app!
- Start or enter a game on your iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad or Android device.
- Open the Game Menu.
- Select the option labeled, Settings.
- At the bottom select Rover or L/R Center under Short Fielder/Extra Outfielder.
This will create an extra player to appear as SF on the scoring screen. Rover will create a player right behind second base, while L/R Center will create another player in the outfield.
When Finalizing a Game on GameChanger Android, Scorekeepers will be prompted to record the various pitching decisions resulting from the game. You will be given the option to select the winning pitcher, the losing pitcher, and select saves and blown saves for each team.
Pitching decisions may also be assigned or edited through the post-game box score on your GC.com team page.
Coaches and scorekeepers can create and save multiple lineups for their team. Many coaches create pre-set lineups based on the matchup. Playing against a lefty pitcher? Playing a team with a bunch of contact hitters? You can now create your ideal lineup before the game, and easily access it before the game.
- Open the GameChanger app, and tap “Lineup” in the navigation bar at the top of your team page.
- Tap the orange “+” icon in the bottom right corner of the screen to add a pre-set lineup
- Select the players you wish to add to your pre-set lineup
- Scroll down to the bottom and tap “DONE”
- From the Lineup tab, select which lineup you want to “Activate”
That’s it for now, but there are more updates coming soon.
Have a question about a specific feature? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a great season!
-The GameChanger Team